[pianotech] repinning hammer butts w/ Billings flanges

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 01:31:10 MST 2009

    On the subject of repinning, how do you deal with butts that
have Billings flanges?  You can't repin more than about 1 or two
sizes bigger, because the center pin won't push through the
brass flange.
    I've tried widening the flange by prying it open with a
screwdriver, but then when tightening the flange screw, I've had
some of them split or crack.  Oh, you can squeeze them shut in a
vise, and drill the hole larger, but what a hassle!  I've had
drill bits break trying to do that.
    Are you obliged to re-bush all the butts first so you can
use a small enough center pin?
    --David Nereson, RPT