[pianotech] repinning hammer butts w/ Billings flanges

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 6 17:54:50 MST 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 2:31 AM, David Nereson <da88ve at gmail.com> wrote:

>   On the subject of repinning, how do you deal with butts that have
> Billings flanges?  You can't repin more than about 1 or two sizes bigger,
> because the center pin won't push through the brass flange.
>   I've tried widening the flange by prying it open with a screwdriver, but
> then when tightening the flange screw, I've had some of them split or crack.
>  Oh, you can squeeze them shut in a vise, and drill the hole larger, but
> what a hassle!  I've had drill bits break trying to do that.
>   Are you obliged to re-bush all the butts first so you can use a small
> enough center pin?
>   --David Nereson, RPT

I discovered the same problem you did about 40 years ago, that's why I keep
a supply of new billings flanges on hand, the new ones WILL open wider and
accept a larger pin. I find the cost of them, $.92 each or about $10 for a
dozen cheaper than my time to rebush that many hammer  butts!

Good luck,

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404