[pianotech] Whitening yellowed ivories

William R. Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sat Nov 7 21:41:32 MST 2009

Steven,

Depends upon what your client wants. If you have one that has a
specific preference, fine, and follow their instructions. My default
is to sand and smooth and polish to a high shine. That is what ivories
on a piano SHOULD look like, IMO. The texture you see on old ivories
is nothing more than wear. I don't personally find that desirable.
Ivory wears unevenly because ivory is not homogeneous. Ivory has areas
of higher and lower densities, much like growth rings on trees. As
ivory wears, the higher density areas appear as ridges. While I agree
with what Joe G said about some folks wanting that, I would not choose
to keep ivories in that condition.  You'll have to sand them to remove
any cupping and get a flat keytop again anyway.

William R. Monroe