[pianotech] Working on the front lines

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sun Nov 8 17:07:12 MST 2009

Rob & Alan -
I'm happy for you for your adventure, and that you successfully
prevailed over adversity, but your story raises a number of
questions.  You say:
>This must be costing a fortune,
in which case, I would ask, given all the money being spent, what
would it have taken to plan well enough so that you task might have
required something less than a superhuman effort, even if ultimately
less colorful, anecdotally?  Were you (both) tuning aurally, or my
machine?  If you were going to be doing another such event soon, what
would you have the producer do differently?  Did you think the pianos
had been adequately prepped by the vendor?  Did you take any pictures
of the area?  It looks incredibly dramatic on Google. What else is
there to do in Ivins?

You also said:
>After it finally quieted down just before they started we went back
>and tested our tuning.  It was nearly right on, clean unisons and
>all!  I guess that means we must know what we're doing.

Sorry guys.  Basic scientific method would require that we first rule
out luck and Divine Intervention before jumping to such a
conclusion.  But there's always hoping.

Regards,

David Skolnik  RPT
Hastings on Hudson, NY