[pianotech] grand bench regulation again

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Nov 9 09:47:44 MST 2009

Jon is right. This is the simple, inflexible rule: when doing precise
regulation (in my shop and practice, any regulation whatsoever) you
must create pretty much exact key travel on each note when the action
is outside the piano---or you will be keenly disappointed in your
results.
You must become radically more intimate with your dip block for your
regulating skills to quickly increase.

There are several ways to recreate exact key travel in the action
outside the piano:
---on a bench, with shims under the two rails (you mess around until
you get it right)
---on a specially made bench w/ built-in adjustable glides
---on an Edwards Action Trolley (Google it)
---on your knees in front of the piano with a cheekblock  (unfinished
side up) between your knee and the balance rail (again, mess around
	'til you get it right)

Key travel is sacred. Nothing works without a precise, consistent
distance on every key. My ideal in 99% of situations is 10.2-3mm.

Hope this helps.....
DA
P.S. Heard Lang Lang solo at Disney Hall last night; packed house; the
Hamburg D sounded great; Beethoven (good) Albeniz (better) and
Prokofiev (best.) He was sweet; played beautifully; made one very
highlighted "clam," or mistake, that kind of endeared me to him;
played a famous, short Chopin etude as an encore (my brain can't think
of the name.) He takes a lot of sh**t from some of my peers for his
"showboatiness" and supposed lack of finesse and pulse, but I was
completely engaged all night, although much less so with the Beethoven
portion than with the more modern work. BTW, the tuning and voicing
were fantastic---AND I wanted a BIT more brilliance and clarity in
octave 5 and halfway into octave 6...but the balance as very good,
even in semi-nosebleed seats (it's a great-sounding room.) Thank you,
Ron Elliott (head tech for LAPhil.)