[pianotech] Center (balance) rail pins

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 17:34:27 MST 2009

>Chuck...center rail?   Balance rail key pins?   You can hammer those out
from below...but that must not be what you're talking about?<

Aha! Thanks, David for helping me see the obvious. I've tried pulling them
out from the top with vise grips, and twisting them back and forth. If
they're tight, however, this doesn't work very well and I'm always afraid of
damaging the hole. I never thought to turn the keyframe upside down and
simply tap the pins out. I'm getting too old for creative thinking,
apparently.
Usually I polish the pins without removing them. This piano, however, sat in
a factory for several decades, however, and the mice who lived there treated
the pins like tiny fire hydrants. And there were a lot of mice, let me tell
you. Anyway, the pins are corroded up the wazoo, so there's no point of
trying to simply polish them. I'll tap them out, and replace with new.
Thanks again.  Chuck