[pianotech] scale design

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Nov 11 12:08:46 MST 2009

Marcel Carey wrote:
> HI,
> I'm in a bind with a Gaebler piano that I took in for repair (pinblock
> strings etc.). When I run the numbers with my excel file, I get
> extremely high tension in the treble section and I'm worried about the
> breaking % that gets above 79%. Is that still workable. At this point
> I'm just scared and I didn't quote to do a bridge recap... Am I scared
> for nothing or could this beast implode on me?

Hi Marcel,
C-8 at 57mm? I don't think it'll implode on you if you don't
go up on wire size. The original didn't, so the restring
shouldn't either. I'd use the Mapes International Gold wire,
for it's higher breaking strength. If it won't pull up to
pitch without breaking strings, recapping with shorter
speaking lengths is the only fix unless you can find higher
test wire.

This is a common problem in Steinway model S (and worse), and
I have an Everett scale with a 58mm C-8. I never have figured
out why they'd build them that way.

Ron N