[pianotech] Re Scaling of piano

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 12 00:40:37 MST 2009

Marcel asked: "I'm in a bind with a Gaebler piano that I took in for repair (pinblock strings etc.). When I run the numbers with my excel file, I get extremely high tension in the treble section and I'm worried about the breaking % that gets above 79%. Is that still workable. At this point I'm just scared and I didn't quote to do a bridge recap... Am I scared for nothing or could this beast implode on me?"

Marcel,
Expain "implode". Probably damage will occur, but 'implode'??
The rule of thumb I was taught was: don't exceed 60% breaking strength! Definately sounds like a new bridge cap, (i.e. rescale of speaking lengths), is in order. However, what formulae are you using for your "excel file"??
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police