[pianotech] PItch

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Nov 13 08:05:32 MST 2009

This one is for those who still think that nobody can tell the difference between 440 and 442.

At the end of October our symphony conductor asked me to keep the recital hall pianos at 441 to facilitate tuning with the orchestra.  I raised both of those pianos to 441.

Last night I got an email from the wind ensemble conductor (who was not a party to the decision to go to 441) saying "the Yamaha is really sharp and we have a concert tomorrow night."  I checked it this morning and it was smack on 441.  He didn't measure anything on the piano, he just heard the difference.

While many cannot tell a difference there are more than a few who can.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University