[pianotech] ETD stretch vs pure (octaves)

James Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 13 12:07:36 MST 2009

Aural tuners don't tune "pure" octaves.  I guess we use "stretch factors",
we just don't call them that. When I learned to tune, one of the most
difficult things to master was how to stretch the tuning, both in the treble
and in the bass, and how to make that stretch match the inharmonicity of
each piano, big or small.  The answer to your question is that aural tuners
use beats and test intervals to give them the stretch for each individual
piano.  The octaves in the treble of a spinet piano will be very wide
whether you tune with an ETD or by ear.   I don't tune octaves in the
treble, I accept them after I use all my other tests.  The double octave 5th
is the primary interval which I use to determine stretch in the top couple
octaves.

Jim