[pianotech] ETD stretch vs pure (octaves)

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 13 13:41:10 MST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Duaine & Laura Hechler
<dahechler at att.net>wrote:

> This may seem like a silly question but ....
>
> At least Cybertuner has stretch factors built-in. Do you aural tuners do
> stretch factors?
>
> How do you tune "pure" octaves with a "stretch" factor - this seems
> oxymoronic.
>
> Duaine
>
> --
> Duaine Hechler
> Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
> Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding
> Reed Organ Society Member
> Florissant, MO 63034
> (314) 838-5587
> dahechler at att.net
> www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
> --
> Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years

Hi Duaine,

My mentor told me in answer to my prefacing a question with the statement
"This is probably a dumb question". That there are no dumb/silly questions
just dumb/silly answers!

I "recently"(a year ago) switched from being a purely aural tuner to using a
Cybertuner, rather seamlessly as it turned out since I had chosen the
Cybertuner after one of our chapter meetings at which all of our members who
used etd's brought them and showed how they were used. I found the
Cybertuner "matched" what I heard aurally the best.
I discovered after acquiring mine that I had developed a few bad habits and
was over stretching the treble and had to accustom my ear to that. It didn't
take long
I still tune unisons aurally, do my usual tests and interval checks but find
the choice to switch has made me faster and less fatigued at the end of the
day.
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404