[pianotech] ETD stretch vs pure (octaves)

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Nov 13 20:42:02 MST 2009

In a message dated 11/13/2009 9:05:24 P.M. Central Standard Time,
nature.dude at yahoo.com writes:

I've seen several piano tuning software with  pre-determined stretches (ex.
Grand Piano 6 to 7 ft, Vertical Piano 39  to 51 inches, etc).  It seems as
if  the middle 4 octaves or  so are tuned with pure octaves while the higher
and lower octaves  include the stretch.  I've never tuned using pre-defined
tunings.  Has anyone here?  I wonder what kind of results people get using
software with pre-determined stretches.  Anyone wish to  comment?

I shouldn't but...

There is still vast confusion in the use of the phrases "pure octave" and
stretch. All properly tuned octaves are slightly wider at some coincident
partial, so stretched. You choose the coincident partial set of your liking.

I am not familiar enough with machines to speak to how they treat octaves
in the midrange, but it is evident and calculable that as you go deeper into
the  bass and higher into the treble, the octaves stretch more. There is no
such  thing as a "pure" octave; there will always be some coincident
partial set  beating.