[pianotech] ETD stretch vs pure (octaves)

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Nov 13 21:13:33 MST 2009

In a message dated 11/13/2009 9:59:12 P.M. Central Standard Time,
dahechler at att.net writes:

Yes,  you shouldn't have - you are going way out of the context of what I
was  trying to say - you are back into partials, beats, etc.
We never left there. The only "pure" "interval" is a unison.

To me, a pure octave is when you play C4 and C5 together,  and hear no
beats or wave-y-ness.
If you listen well enough, there is a lot of beating going on in any octave
 of any kind.

Just like tuning unisons of a tri-string and they are in  tune when you
hear no beats or waves, except they are an octave  apart.
No it isn't like that. A true unison (physically correct with mass, tension
 and length) should be tuned beatless. Octaves are not beatless except
perhaps at  some selected coincident partial.

If C4 is in tune and you hear beats, that means C5 is sharp  or flat.
No, it means that some (or several) coincident partial set(s) of C4-C5 is
(are)  beating and that the relationship(s) is (are) either wide or  narrow.

Paul

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump  Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home  & Business user of Linux - 10  years