[pianotech] ETD stretch vs pure (octaves)

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Nov 14 01:01:46 MST 2009

I understand what you are saying Duaine... but the point is that if you
listen closely enough, you actually DO hear beats and wave-y-nes no
matter what you do. Its just that at some few sweet spots you get an
illusion that there is a pure octave. The dominant coincidents for any
given octave can be brought into line well enough for this to happen in
much of the middle part of the piano to the degree one has to listen
fairly closely to notice the beating in the whole coincidents partials
ladder.  But in the extreme ranges... not so extreme actually as one
moves down into the bass region... the mesh of beating coincidents along
with those that are either beatless or very close to being is very
noticeable.

The <<pure octave>> is only an illusion. All the comments about
coincidents I've read in this thread so far are pretty much right on
target. I think perhaps we are getting hung up a bit in semantics ?

Cheers
RicB

    To me, a pure octave is when you play C4 and C5 together, and hear no
    beats or wave-y-ness.

    Just like tuning unisons of a tri-string and they are in tune when you
    hear no beats or waves, except they are an octave apart.

    If C4 is in tune and you hear beats, that means C5 is sharp or flat.