[pianotech] ETD stretch vs pure (octaves)

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 14 09:20:50 MST 2009

Duaine wrote:

> To recap, so when I do a real check of octaves ~(A2 + A3), I just adjust
> based on what sounds good on that piano.

Great idea. The whole discussions seems a little bit theoretical and abstract.

When I joined this list a few years ago I read the first time about ETD´s. In this context I heard the first time about 4:2, 6:3 or whatsoever octaves. Of course I knew what was meant but I never thought about it before. I learned all the tuning theory during my training, but I never strived for a particular octave such as 4:2 or any other. I just wanted to let it sound good. I remember that I first had a hard time to decide on which beats of an octave I should listen. I heard so much ringing, beating and overtones that I was completely confused. My goal was to cut the knot and bring some calm in the restlessness, but I did it with my ears and not with the intellectual capacity of my academic brain. In hindsight I can say that was a good because holistic approach.

When you focus on a particular partial matching you risk that you neglect other partial pairs. Once you started to focus on a pair your brain will quickly adapt and filters out the rest. I became aware of it since I have an apprentice now. She is new to tuning and has the same hassle that I had with hearing overtones. She showed me what she was hearing and I was stunned because I did not hear it first. But after hearing it once I could not stop for a while, because I was so focused on her perception. My brain had completely filtered out what she was hearing before she told me.

Sometimes some partials are louder than others and this constellation is not consistent over the whole piano, sometimes even not within an unison. What works for e.g. A3-A4 may be wrong for G3-G4. So, a holistic approach might be better than single partial matching. Tuning an interval always means finding the best possible compromise. Therefore, just let it sound good and don´t care too much about the math.

Gregor

piano technician - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de