[pianotech] The Db1 theory

Stéphane Collin collin.s at mobistar.be
Sat Nov 14 10:15:16 MST 2009

Hello Dale.

I see clearly what you mean, and of course agree completely.

My test was simply playing a bass note and the major chord in the disposition reinforcing its natural harmonics, trying to balance the notes so the sound is as “full” as possible.

Doing this, why, oh why is it so often Db1 that expresses itself in the most overwhelming way ?  why never A#0 ? or E1 ?  Not even C1.

I was thinking at Db1 as the cross point of multiple graphs representing involved characteristics :

-          Ideal mass of the string

-          Ideal length of the string

-          Ideal position among the single wound strings section (fewest scaling compromising)

-          Ideal position of the string on the bass bridge bridge

-          Ideal note for major chord built on it (higher = less full, lower = not clear anymore) relatively to the human hearing

-          And so on

Maybe I should have asked first if other techs feel the same, once they pay attention to these points.  But if a consensus would appear, we could consider that the piano design was optimized for Db1.

Even the keyboard configuration is reflecting this : pianists know that Db major scale is the easiest of all, as it conforms so well the natural position of the hands (left and right).  Now, that was probably by chance.  (By chance ?)

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.

  Hi Stephane

  This may not be what you are experiencing.

 I find that on SO many pianos there are at least a few notes that sound truly exceptional as to sustain and clarity and others that are noticeably not as magic. Usually this is from the  note 40 ish on up.

 I've tried switching the great sounding notes hammer with the one that doesn't countless times and have found that 99% of the time its not hammer related.....and, so frequently they are right next door to the one the sounds fantastic. Sometimes its around the plate strut breaks and others not.  I personally think it is variations in soundboard impedance.

  Probably due to invisible spruce gnomes and spruce fairies burrowing into the wood. grin

  That's my story & I'm stickin to it.

    Dale Erwin