[pianotech] Kimball Console Action Holddown Screws

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sat Nov 14 18:24:26 MST 2009

Paul

Removing those screws can be very difficult, especially when the cross points wear out. I've had to resort to taking the screws out with a needle nose vice grips in the heads. One of the problems with removing the screws is that the hole in the action bracket is exactly the same size as the shank of the screw, and when the bracket moves away from the plate, the angle causes the screw to jam in the hole. To make it easier to remove the screw, make sure the brackets stays flush with the plate.

Once you've got the screws out, there is no reason why you can't replace with with bigger and shorter screws, and drill out the hole a little. But, more importantly, you should drill out the hole in the action bracket at least 2 or even 3 sizes bigger than the shank of the screw, so that you won't have it binding on the action bracket going in, or taking them out again in the future.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789