[pianotech] Anyone want to take this one on?

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun Nov 15 06:05:54 MST 2009

Ron:

I was  with you all the way on this $25,000 upright rebuild until you got
the bridle straps. That puts it over the top for me, Ron - it's just too
expensive now.  You did leave out something important, though.  Mouse
flossing between the keys.  It's obvious from the condition of the ivories
that the owners were never taught this important preventative measure.

I have seen pianos like this in New Hampshire.  The difference is that here
the customer makes you wade through hip deep snow drifts in January to get
to them outside the barn.  Sometimes we're lucky though, and they are
inside. Identifying marks are the Jackson Pollack-like splatterings of
pigeon dung.  Where you stand before them in awe and think to yourself, "A
lifetime of training by the greatest minds of my generation have brought me
to this moment. THIS is why I am here. THIS is who I am. THIS IS WHAT I DO."
And then you sell the job - a little tuning,  new bridle straps. and you are
good for a few more years.

Will