[pianotech] Kimball Console Action Holddown Screws

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 15 21:28:54 MST 2009

All of the above.  :)

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:29 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Kimball Console Action Holddown Screws

Gerald Groot wrote:
> Exactly which is why I suggested a good solid head for the power tool.
> Stupidity, carelessness or the wrong sized bits during usage is what
causes
> messed up heads.  Use the right sized screw driver or bit for the screw
> slot.

So was it stupidity, carelessness, or the wrong sized bit that
produced the near universally factory stripped heads in the
first place?

> If the screw heads are stripped badly, I wouldn't bother putting them in
> again for the next person.  That next person just might be YOU.

If the previous tech was smart enough to insure that the
original screws were adequate, and lubricated enough to get
them back in by hand (hand, that is), I wouldn't have a
problem with it because it would still work.

<Replace
> them if possible.  Might be a bit of a pain to do it but, for the most
part,
> those screws are the same width so carry some along with you.

It's been probably ten years since I've had to pull a Kimball
action. I don't think I'll be stocking up on replacement
screws any time real soon now.

<There are
> plenty of them out there to work on.  You can have them all if you want?

Through the 80's we had a bunch of Kimball dealers here (or
maybe it just seemed so), and I did a lot of service work on
them. Now, it's surprising to get four Kimball service calls a
year. Why? My experience has been that Kimballs went out of
tune farther, and faster, than almost anything out there, so
it's not that they don't need service. Where did they all go?

So the bottom line is that this isn't worth the baggage to me
to artificially enhance the bottom line if the original screws
will still do the job adequately. When there's no indication
that what we did made a functional performance difference,
what is it, exactly, that we do for a living?
Ron N

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 091115-1, 11/15/2009
Tested on: 11/15/2009 11:28:54 PM