[pianotech] Julius Bluthner rebuild recording

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Nov 16 12:42:04 MST 2009

Hi Stéphane, any others interested...

We just had one of Europes better known piano forté pianists in for a
masterclass today and will give a concert tomorrow and he was interested
in checking out the Bluthner.  Bart Van Oort.  He was absolutely
enthralled !  This is the first direct feedback I've had from someone
who's very familiar with how these kinds of instruments sound.  I had
just made some adjustments to add some stiffness to the cross over area
between the lower tenor and bass bridge and the sound <<improvement>>
was quite significant. His only "criticism" actually went in the
opposite direction my ears want me to go with this thing.  He said it
was just a bit too boomy in the lower tenor and bass... which was what
I'd just addressed.  He also said if I was looking for a Brahms kind of
sound then I should leave it like I have it, but if I was looking for an
earlier period sound I should thin out the lower tenor and bass and
concentrate on an flat clean attack sound that does not swell.

Very encouraging comments to be sure.  I'll have to try and get a decent
recording of this instrument pretty soon and post it. In anycase... I'm
tickled pink at his response.

Cheers
RicB

    Richard,

    Your Blüthner project sounds like a success.  The piano is very
    musical, and
    retains that oldish feel that so easily disappears when you do severe
    restoration.  Very agreeable also is the sound that comes out when the
    pianist asks for volume.  Too often, in old pianos, you would get or
    harsh
    or confuse sound.  Nothing like that here, but only flavor magic.

    Best regards.

    Stéphane Collin.