[pianotech] Baldwin Front Duplex

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Mon Nov 16 21:19:29 MST 2009

Hi Barb, et al,

On closer examination, you will see that the randomness that you observed is
not in the speaking lengths, but only in the duplex lengths.  Another
interesting phenomena is the sound emanating from the duplex segment.  If
you pluck the front duplex length of most other pianos, the predominant
pitch that you will hear is defined by the duplex segment length.  In the
Baldwins with termination pieces, when you pluck the duplex length, the
sound is "fuzzier" and less distinct, but the predominant pitch is that of
the speaking length, not the duplex length.  If you search the archives you
will find more discussion of the Baldwin "termination piece."

Before I went to work at Baldwin, I was a university tech.  We had a few SF
and SD Baldwins (7' & 9').  Tuning the top two sections of these pianos was
always troublesome to me.  I found that if I muted out the front duplex
segments through the termination pieces, the tuning worked out better for
me.  I used flange bushing strips to mute in this range.  It weakened the
tone a bit, but "cleaned it up" in my judgment, as a tuner.  Nobody
complained, so I left the mute strips in.  I didn't know why, but it worked
for me.

When I went to work at Baldwin, I found a partial answer.  I plotted a graph
of the FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) for each note in the termination piece
sections.  As expected, there was a peak for the fundamental and each of the
harmonic partials of each note.  The magnitude of the peaks was random, but
this was also to be expected.  What was unusual was an extra inharmonic peak
for each note roughly at the frequency of C88.  For some notes, this was
harmonic to the fundamental, but in most it was inharmonic.  I believe this
is what troubled me in tuning these pianos.

In the original design for the termination piece, the idea was to make the
termination more rigid.  The termination piece provided a bridge between the
vbar and the main body of the plate between each note.  In that respect the
concept was sound.  Another part of the design intent was to use a very hard
material for the termination, harder that the string itself.  This would
result in less risk of the string, moving across the termination surface,
damaging the termination surface.  If anything, Baldwin proved that you can
get away with a harder material by using a larger radius at the termination.
Just because you can get away with it doesn't mean it is the best practice.
I prefer the termination to be less hard than the string.

The termination piece was developed before I came to Baldwin.  As I
understand it, in the early prototypes, there were a few notes with an
"objectionable" sound.  Experimentally, they found that increasing the
duplex length resolve the problem.  Consequently, they designed a
termination piece "type B" to substitute for "type A" for those notes deemed
to have this objectionable sound.  Consequently, you see mostly type A, with
random substitutions of type B to resolve this objectionable sound.  To me,
every note with a termination piece has an "objectionable" sound, whether
type A or type B.

The good news ..... and the bad news, is that there are still pianos of this
type in use, but no more are being produced.  Baldwin piano production is
now out-sourced to China.  While there are poor quality pianos from China,
there are also good pianos from China.  In my present work, for a Chinese
company, we are constantly striving to raise the level of quality.

Frank Emerson