[pianotech] Question-Bass strings

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Nov 17 03:56:13 MST 2009

Hi Mark

In my view Hex core is fundamentally flawed. It has been used for years
by a few companies on a very short list. Grotrian Steinweg at the top of
that list... But there are a couple issues.  It delivers a very
different degree of inharmonicity and when pianos designed with round
core wire have a set of hex core bass strings put on as replacement the
result is always (IMHO) less then satisfactory.  There is another thing
I've been wanting to get a discussion about that concerns all bass
strings... but seems to hit hex core much more severely and earlier in
life.  Bass strings seem to develop a lot of para-inharmonicity over
time.  I have not measured this directly have noticed that new pianos
have quite a bit less in general then older pianos,  replacement of a
carefully calculated and spun set of strings alleviates nearly all the
problem and hex core seems to suffer from this very much more then round
core.

One of hex cores touted big benefits is that its supposed to be easier
to wind over and less tendant towards string buzzes developing. I
suspect that is in the end the major reason why a few factories use
them. There is no inherent advantage soundwise.... quite the opposite if
anything... at least in my book.

Cheers
RicB

    Greetings to the List,
    I have been wondering why some manufacturers use hexagonal steel
    wire as their core wire in making their bass strings and others use
    round steel wire? What are the reasons for using either type of
    steel wire as the core for making bass strings?
    Thank you,
    Mark