[pianotech] call-backs you can't charge for

Mike Kurta mkurta1 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 21 06:33:38 MST 2009

    David, I can see both sides of that question-to charge or not to charge?
My thought is that the customer will remember how you handled their callback
far longer than the original tuning you did, good or bad.  Positive public
relations are hard to come by, and is the stuff that makes you a hero in
their eyes.  Here is an opportunity to gain a chunk,  and as you pointed
out, they will tell others.
    By the same token there is a line over which one is taken advantage of
and this judgement should be made on a case by case basis.  We should not be
considered doormats.  However in my experience those times are really rare.
We choose to be members of a SERVICE industry, and how we handle customer
concerns is up to us.
    Have you noticed how we are now greeted in stores lately, and how
friendly those folks are?  Also it seems much easier to return an item
nowadays from just awhile ago.  This looks like a trend and it might be
worthwhile for us to be aware of it and pay attention to our public
relations too.
    Mike Kurta, RPT
    Chicago chapter