[pianotech] call-backs you can't charge for

pianofritz50 at aol.com pianofritz50 at aol.com
Sat Nov 21 15:24:02 MST 2009

Great Job, Jim!!  Thank you from all of us tuners!!

How True:  "Life is generally good to me, when I'm good to others."

Bill Fritz, St Louis

From: Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu>
To: pianotech at ptg.org <pianotech at ptg.org>
Subject: Re: [pianotech] call-backs you can't charge for
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:14:12 -0700
David,
Unless you're doing this a LOT I think it is the old "casting your bread upon
the water" thing. (It will come back to you...)
True story - I came after a "technician" replaced some hammers on a lady's
piano. If was a very bad job. Looked like bad teeth with many hammers missing
strings, varying height, etc. She didn't know me and wanted to make SURE that I
wouldn't charge the $500.00 like this fellow charged. When I was done (Two
hours, and a tuning too) I said "No charge. I don't want you to think that all
piano tuners are out to gouge you." So what? So, for a few hours I didn't get
paid...
Or did I?? Next year's tuning she gave me a $100.00 "tip" which I tried to
refuse but she insisted on giving it. I've counted over 50 clients she has
referred to me. Now, if none of that had happened I still wouldn't have charged
her. I felt bad for her.
Life is generally good to me, when I'm good to others. So, to those who say I'm
wrong - you do what you feel is right, and I'll do the same.
Jim Busby