[pianotech] Regulating drop

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Nov 25 10:50:00 MST 2009

>I guess my question is "what's the purpose of drop?"  Israel Stein
>says "so you know you have letoff".  Will too large a drop effect
>repetition?  Will it also effect the touch of the piano?  That's my
>thinking, but I'd love the input of the experts so I have it firmly
>(and correctly) in my mind.

'Drop' is a misnomer. It is the repetition lever upstop screw. It
restricts the upwards motion of the repetition lever.

The more simultaneous contact of the let off button and upstop screw,
the crisper will be the resistance at
the beginning of after touch.

The upstop screw can be turned so low as to restrict rep lever from
raising the hammer sufficiently to
regulate the spring tension.

You want to set it high enough for timing contact with the let off
but low enough not to let the hammer
rebound into the string by the rep spring.

Fine tuning the simultaneous contact time is done with the distance
the jack is situated under the knuckle.
This is done after multiple refinements of the two.

Regards,

Jon Page