[pianotech] Regulating drop

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Wed Nov 25 15:20:44 MST 2009

If no-one else has said this, and I haven't seen it yet, my understanding
of the purpose of drop, other than the secondary result of having a  visible
let-off, is to "upstop" the repetition lever at the highest possible
moment of rotation of the whippen and just before the sprung leverage  rotates in
the opposite direction so that the jack is allowed to  return more
efficiently under the knuckle. The more drop, a  greater compression of the spring,
a larger "bounce" of the  knuckle on the rep lever, the less efficient
return of the  jack, and the slower the repetition.

Paul

In a message dated 11/25/2009 3:56:38 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jonpage at comcast.net writes:

>Fine  tuning the simultaneous contact time is done with the distance
>the jack  is situated under the knuckle. This is done after multiple
>refinements  of the two.

That is to say the position of the jack alignment to the  core,
not how much below the rep level it rests.  It's a very  fine
balancing act to avoid cheating jacks.
--

Regards,

Jon  Page