[pianotech] Pleyel Grand Piano

perrys piano restorations perrymark at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 25 20:24:09 MST 2009

Hello,

I've restored two Pleyel grands, and I have to say that they are remarkably warm and clear pianos!  I absolutely love the tone and clarity.  The only advice I can offer about the pins is to pull one out before you make a recomendation to the customer about re-pinning.  The Pleyel pianos I have rebuilt all had very short tuning pins, and the holes are drilled to accomodate.  Standard pins may be 3/4" longer, forcing you to drill out the pinblock.  If this is the case, purchase a drill stop collet for your drill bit and do it free-hand as long as the holes are not oblong.  If you are careful you can do a very nice job..... if you purchase a long drill bit (maybe 8") you will not have to be concerned with cooling the bit since the heat will dissipate.  maybe fit a no.2 pin in and see how it feels before you oversize.

good luck,

Mark Perry

www.carvedpianoparts.com