[pianotech] Lyre Damage

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Nov 26 09:08:11 MST 2009

Porritt, David wrote:
>> I've said many times that the
>> lyre is meant for hanging and the keybed cannot or should not take the
>> weight of supporting the piano even temporarily
>
> You mean, like sitting on the piano horse - on the key bed?
> Ron N
>
> But the piano horse distributes that same weight across the whole key bed rather than a few square inches above the lyre.

Quite so. I'm curious though. Have any of you found action
problems you could attribute directly to setting a piano up on
the lyre? Any actual evidence of key bed damage from this? I
never have, but there are still an infinity of places I
haven't been. So I was wondering if this is real, or yet
another of those "intuitive" things. I know broken lyres and
crushed corners on bottom plates are real, I'm just wondering
where all this concern for the key bed comes from.
Ron N