[pianotech] Regulating drop (PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 27 08:36:04 MST 2009

Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:47:41 EST  PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com wrote:

>  The other so far unaddressed result is that the hammer on a medium or
> hard blow into check, then released, will rise to the position of the
> _drop_ dimension from the string being raised by the "properly"
> sprung rep lever which is regulated to the drop dimension. Obviously
> all sorts of the things can go wrong with such close
> tolerances--spring regulation, check regulation, etc.
Well, Paul, not exactly. It would be more accurate to say that "the
hammer on a medium or hard blow into check, then released, WHILE THE KEY
IS STILL HELD DOWN will rise to the position of the _drop_ dimension
from the string being raised by the "properly" sprung rep lever which is
regulated to the drop dimension." If you just release the key, the
hammer will simply return to rest position. Of course, what you describe
is not something that is normally done by piano players (at least not
deliberately - I suppose it could happen inadvertently) but only in the
course of regulation by technicians...

Israel Stein