[pianotech] Service bond price

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Nov 27 21:23:18 MST 2009

David Love wrote:
> I agree that it shows good intent and also agree that Yamahas come out of
> the factory better prepped than many others.  It's just that the stated
> requirements of the service bond aren't something that can easily be covered
> in a $35 pay period or $50 as which used to be the local amount.  If you
> factor in time for little tweaks in a normal service call (as I do) then
> over time you can keep up with it and the $50 is a nice start and gesture of
> good will.  I do applaud that.

The local Yamaha dealer here has gone with a cheaper tuner,
some years back, and I have no idea what he charges for
service bonds, or what he does. I tighten action screws, plate
screws, and bench leg bolts for $45. Takes about a half hour,
which is close to right in this area. If I have to deal with
action regulation, it will be billed at my usual retail rate
over and above. Should the dealer object, she can continue to
not use me for warranty tunings, other than when a customer
contacts me directly. So far, I've baled them out on
potentially ugly service situations often enough (after the
cheaper guy(s) didn't), that they don't make too big a fuss
over it.

I must also wholeheartedly applaud the gesture of supporting a
fighting start on a working service regimen by Yamaha's
service bond program, whatever the allowed compensation.

Ron N