[pianotech] prepping before sale

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 29 07:29:28 MST 2009

Yes, strange business. But in the end we are far better off than the computer and software industry. If the
piano industry were like the computer industry, the pianos had problems like
this:

Casual
misfunction of the left pedal. We had to fix it with a trick: engaging right
pedal while pressing F4 and turning the key in the lock.

Regular
misfunction of the right pedal, repairable only with a complete reboot,, i.e.
closing and re-opening lid and fallboard!

Yamaha were
not compatible with Mozart and we could not play Bach on Steinway.

Pianos were
playable only in the middle octaves. Advanced users would need an activation
code for the upper and lower octaves. Unfortunately this basic mode includes
white keys only. For the sharps we needed an extra license.

We could
play only tunes that were published until the date of delivery. For
contemporary music in the future we had to upgrade to PianoVista or Piano7.0.

Macintosh
would produce a piano that were cheaper, easier to play, better sounding and
with much less failures, but this piano would be bought by only 5 percent of
all customers.

Casual
warnings in the built-in display like this: you played A4 together with A#4.
This is an unsusual interval. Are you sure? Please verify: PRESS ANY KEY
(available only in concert grands with recital mode)

Lot of spam
in every song in the form of “uninvited guest notes”

Viruses and
worms lead to permanent string breakage

Perfectioning
of the Banana Priciple: product maturates at customers home.

Yes, really strange business.
Gregor

piano technician - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany