[pianotech] call-backs you can't charge for

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Sun Nov 29 09:19:25 MST 2009

Greetings,

        This is alwys a tough one. When I go into a new customer's piano, I
try to make sure they are standing right there, and I show them the "lay of
the land" as far as the piano's issues are concerned. I try every key, look
at the bridges and play some keys and ask them if they can "hear that" and
point out any extraneous ringning or other key/action sticking problems or
worn key bushings clacking etc. I ask them how long they have the piano, and
ask if it was in a basement or near a heat source before they got it.

        As you probably know, the old uprights are the worst. I point out
the dirt/dust if any, and/or other problems and tell them that it indicates
the piano was neglected. Testing the A-440 tells all, of course .  I find
that if I do is in the beginning, it lowers their expectations of what services
I can perform to ge the piano acceptably playable again. I guess some
people expect us to be "miracle" workers on such "beasts".

Julia
Reading, PA

In a message dated 11/22/2009 3:28:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,