[pianotech] Photo Journal / Essay

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Sun Nov 29 10:13:43 MST 2009

Chuck,

I'd like to be on that list.

Thanks.
Jim
________________________________
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of Chuck Behm [behmpiano at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:15 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Photo Journal / Essay

Hello list - As quite a few of you know, I have been putting together a photo journal documenting the restoration of an upright piano. This has turned into an exciting project which really has gone beyond the scope I anticipated. I've been sending out photos with commentary in batches as the restoration proceeds. I've sent out 12 sets of photos totaling 320 shots starting from the movers unloading the piano from the truck into our shop.

The work has been quite extensive. Although we did not feel the need to install a new soundboard, we have done many other jobs to bring the piano back to life. It was in sad shape to begin with, but has been feeling much better as of late.

Anyway, here's the thing. The first seven sets were composed on Microsoft Word. I'm planning on reformatting those files somewhat to match the formatting of the later sets, putting them on PDF files, and sending them back out. Those will be sent out to everyone on my list who had received the original Word documents.

If any of you who have not received the photo journal would like to be included, now would be the ideal time to send me your name. I'll add you into the list so that you're included in both the revisions starting back from photo set #1, all the way through the PDF files which have already been set out, to the files which will be sent out in the near future as the restoration project comes to a close.

I would appreciate if a few of you who have been receiving the photo sets already could voice your opinions to the list on the quality of the essay so far. As far as I know, it's a somewhat unique look at what goes on in the restoration process.

Thank you, by the way, for all the kind comments that have been sent to me personally. My hope is that this documentation of the restoration process will cause a few technicians to consider becoming involved in saving an occasional instrument that might otherwise end up in a landfill somewhere. It is such satisfying and interesting work.

I'll end with a quick story. When I was eight or nine there was an old guy (probably in his 30's, I suppose) who lived next door to us. By day, he was a mechanic at a local car dealership. In the evenings, he spent his time restoring old automobiles. I felt drawn to his shop, and he would put me to work sweeping up, or handing him tools.
One evening, he was spending his time at a wire wheel polishing bolts and nuts. He polished each nut to a brilliant shine. I remember asking him where a particular nut went. He turned off the grinder and showed me. "Mr. Eggleston, no one will ever see that!" I said. His reply - "I will."
I didn't really get it then. I do now.  Chuck Behm