[pianotech] Oversized tuning pins

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Nov 29 20:27:30 MST 2009

  Hi Ed
   If it's a new maple block, I agree, I can't tell much difference either. It's re stringing where I think most of the difference can matter.
 If we are re stringing and going from a no. 2  at .282 and a no 3 supposedly at .286. That's one thing but if the majority of your pins end up being .284  That's only .002 larger than the twos. As David said there are 1/2 sizes now. Ain't it great!
   We have by in large just gone to the diamond pins to save on labor and promote accuracy and peace of mind.
  Dale

Dale writes;

 A no. 3 Japanese pin can vary say from .284 to .286 and a few at .287. A majority we find at .284. Now of course this can work for you depending on how the pin fits in the block. We use the fattest ones in the bass and smallest in the treble.

   When I used Falconwood, the tolerances were quite small, and a couple of thou. in the pin would have been a noticeable event.  However, in using the Bolduc or Steinway blocks, which are significantly softer than the heavily laminated ones, I am not sure that I can tell whether .002" variation is changing torque. My wrench doesn't distinguish between them, and my hand might, at times, though it is susceptible to mood and fatigue swings.
      I used to mic sets, but since using the Diamond brand, I have dropped that step and had no problems. Got better things to do than sit on a stool, and have figured the extra cost is worth the time saved.
Regards,