[pianotech] Oversized tuning pins

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Nov 29 21:01:41 MST 2009

The proper sized bit will depend on the type of block and the pin you have
in mind use for replacement.  I’d have to go look in the shop but I think
when I’m pulling out a #2 pin from a Steinway block I drill it out with a J
bit (.277 if I recall correctly—the bit that Schaff calls it’s #3 bit) and
repin with a 3.5 tuning pin (lo torque if I can get it).  Diamond makes the
½ sizes and that’s what I tend to use.  The sizing I haven’t found to be
that big a problem with the Japanese pins but I like the color on the
Diamond pins better and when restringing without replacing the block (which
I do sometimes—as Israel mentioned sometimes cost matters to the customer) I
often get into either ½ sizes or lo-torque pins which restricts you to
Diamond anyway.  Were I restringing a Delignit block I might use a different
bit—or different sized pin.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com