[pianotech] Selecting Keytop Replacement

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Sun Nov 29 21:10:12 MST 2009

Good evening,

I will be sending a set of keys to Leon for top/front replacement this week.  I just wanted to ask your opinions.

The piano is a 1948 Baldwin M.  The whites are chipped, some are missing, etc.  The sharps actually look fairly good.  Now, I was first just going to request whites only.  Leon uses the molded tops/fronts.  Then I realized that quite possibly when I got them back and matched them up with the sharps (which are ebony), the sharps wouldn't look so good, and may look like I should of had the sharps replaced as well.

My final conclusion as of now, is to have the off-white German tops/fronts and to have the ebony sharps refinished.  The refinished definitely won't be the high gloss the plastics give.

Is there a particular white key/sharp combo that would look the best?  Or is this stupid?

Thanks!
Matthew

TODD PIANO WORKS
Matthew Todd, Piano Technician