[pianotech] Oversized tuning pins

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Nov 29 21:54:14 MST 2009

Having gone from German to Japanese on many occasions over the years with the method I described of drilling out the hole prior to inserting the new oversized pin I can tell you it doesn’t matter, measured or not.  If you just pound in a new pin I wouldn’t count on staying German to avoid problems either for the reasons I already mentioned.  Comparing the pins in my shop I find very little difference in the length of the threaded part between the two pins.  The tapered unthreaded part at the tip is slightly wider and slightly longer on the Japanese pin but since it is still narrower than the full diameter of the threaded part of the pin I can’t see how it would make any difference.  At least that’s how I feed it.  The point being that I don’t think there is any real reason to avoid using a Japanese pin if you so desire even if the previous one was German.  Whichever you use, however, I would recommend either a shorter pin if you don’t want to ream or drill out the hole and shelf or drill it out and use whatever you fancy without worry.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com