[pianotech] Oversized tuning pins

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 08:50:09 MST 2009

David, And AL
   Thanks for sharing your own protocols. I'm sure others will benifit from it as well. I have not had the occassion to use the 1/2 sizes yet but it is a great idea when restringing over an exsisting block. And I agree that diamond pins are worth the money.
   I will say I like the blued ones merely as it appears the threads are cut after the bluing process. The nickel ones appear that they are cut and then plated which I don't like. I have been assured that isn't the case by P-tek but it sure looks like it.
  Dale

Dale,

As you have said replacing a pinblock is always the best choice, but when money is an issue, sometime we must keep the old pinblock. It must first pass all of my tests.

1, The existing tuning pins must move smoothly in the pin block. Any jerking or creaking will require a new block.
2, If any area is looser that the other parts of the block - Replace. Could be hidden damage.
3, Visual inspection when the plate is removed. Any cracking, dryness or delamination - Replace.

Once it has passes all my tests and I have determine that all is well, I go with what David described here. Re-drill or ream to the tuning pin size I have determined is best and I always use the German Diamond brand tuning pins. Far better than anything I've used in the past.

Al

 Hi Al, David, Israel & and all
  Having re strung lots of pianos it seems no matter how good the original block seems to be the re strung results are never as good as
a new block. By this I mean going from the original no. 2  to a no. 3.  I'm not saying it's not doable or casting dispertion as our shop restrings some old blocks on occasions like any of us.  Ok,I've tried reaming,gun barrel brushes etc.,even tried spoon bits. What are they for anyway?
  So the point is, the end result of the restring for me are never quite as good as a new block and sometimes  frustratingly ...well,frustrating to tune.
   I'm getting to the point where if its a really good piano a new block isn't usually going to break the bank. SO... Like Nike, Just do it?
 I always find it somewhat disheartening (grrrr) to go back on a job that our shop re strung and it tunes only with the greatest of skill or it's inconsistent & snappy. In my opinion this type of scenario lends itself to a piano being out of tune a larger percentage of its life and a tuning that fades too soon after a fresh tuning is done. Not to mention I don't enjoy the wrestling match
  But, I would like to know for those of you who are more seasoned than me (Like AL) grin. What favorite techniques do you use when faced with the re stringing scenario. Ahh, it's probably been discussed at length but indulge me.
  Dale

I find the best approach is to simply run a drill through that's the
ppropriate size for the new diameter pin you are going to use.  That way
ou don't have to wonder whether to go up one size or two sizes and you get
ome fresh wood against the new tunings pins.  Also, now pins come in half
izes so you can take the minimal amount of material and target the smallest
hange necessary or use the lo-torque pins or both.
David Love
ww.davidlovepianos.com

>The irony is that there are places and conditions where going up 2 sizes
is pretty much standard procedure. All the years that I lived and worked
in Boston, that's what we did whenever restringing a piano without
replacing the pinblock. The climate there and the prevalence of
forced-air heating in New England homes beat those pinblocks up so badly
that if you only went up one size, you would have loose tuning pins
within a year or two of restringing (if not sooner). Now that I am
living and working in Northern California, often the block is still
perfectly fine when the strings are shot (as often happens in pianos
that live close to the ocean or in  the fog belt). Even going up one
size can often result in overly tight tuning pins. So one size increase
is the maximum I dare do here - and often enough restringing with the
old pins (using a dummy pin for making coils) yields perfectly fine
tuning pin torque.
>The point is that one should not blindly follow some set procedure, but
assess the conditions and  determine tuning pin size accordingly.