[pianotech] Warranties

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 1 16:24:18 MDT 2009

 >David Love wrote:
 >

 >Can a dealer issue a warranty on a piano stipulating that the warranty
is only valid if their technician services >the  piano?  I thought that
was illegal under fair trade laws or something related.

 >David Love

Folks,

An attorney with knowledge of contract law should be consulted. A
warranty is a contract, and in some states such a contract may be
illegal - and therefore unenforceable - and in others it might not be.

Regardless of any contracts or warranties, in many jurisdictions the
doctrine of "implied warranty" is recognized, which may apply even if
the dealer's/rebuilder's warranty is legally void.  Which means that the
item being sold or item being delivered after rebuilding must be capable
of functioning as intended - otherwise the client has a valid claim
against the dealer or rebuilder. This is a complicated issue. I was once
involved in a small claims case here in California, as the "other"
technician who was called on to examine a "rebuilt" piano that did not
hold pitch at all over a year after delivery. (it was a botch job - new
pinblock with tuning pin torque between 20 and 50 lbs.) What I found out
from questions asked and statements made by the judge from the bench is
as follows (this of course applies only to California - other states may
have different standards):

1. . It is, up to the buyer to prove that a condition exists which
prevents the item from functioning as intended and that this condition
is the fault of the dealer or rebuilder.  The dealer or rebuilder cannot
prevent the customer from employing others to help ascertain such a
condition - implied warranty applies in all cases.

2. Under implied warranty, the dealer or rebuilder must be given an
opportunity to correct the defect. If the dealer or rebuilder refuses or
is unable to do so,  the client may hire someone else to do the repair -
and make a claim against the dealer or rebuilder. Of course, it would
probably involve going to court...

3. The dealer or rebuilder must be notified of the defect in a
reasonable amount of time. In my case the judge essentially punted - he
dismissed the case because the problem was not brought to the
"rebuilder's" attention in a reasonable amount of time. Never did find
out what "reasonable time" meant in California...

In other words - this is an issue for a lawyer, and the rules may differ
from state to state.

Israel Stein