[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 12, Issue 11

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Oct 2 05:59:13 MDT 2009

Having the beckets aligned in a somewhat regimented fashion
goes to illustrating one's proficiency at one's trade. Sloppy coils
speaks to the lack of craftsmanship whether it be the result of
ignorance or disregard.

This 'couldn't care less' attitude may leave the onlooker with the
concern of where else in the overall picture did the rebuilder
execute a lack of expertise, it certainly does for me. Disregard
in one area diminishes the total.

It is simple enough to have pins of even height and additionally
to have the beckets aligned. It is a practiced skill which factory
stringers develop thru repetition. For the occasional stringer
there is a guide to achieve this goal. Search the archives for
Becket Tool.

If uniformity is not important, I'd hate to have someone with
that attitude build me a picket fence.
--

Regards,

Jon Page