[pianotech] Beckets

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Oct 7 06:39:10 MDT 2009

Jude Reveley (Absolute Piano) wrote:
> Who said anything about pin angle relating to tight coils? I think you
> misread my post.

A choice of pin length, pinblock composition, drilling fit,
and driving depth would still let you put the takeoff point of
the coil at any height you like above the plate regardless of
the number of turns on the coil. And the string draft angle
does relate to pin angle, or should. The angle relationship of
the pin to the string, determined in part by the angle of the
pin in the block, *is* the part of this that affects the
process of getting tight coils.

Why would having to drive the pin deeper be a problem? I
covered that with "choice of pin length", "pinblock
composition", and "drilling fit".

Ron N