[pianotech] hammer issue

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 8 11:07:43 MDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Steven Hopp <hoppsmusic at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello kind folks :)
>
> I am regulating a yamaha G3.  After a first round there was way too much
> aftertouch and the keystroke/playing felt very hard at the end of play.
>
> Today, to reduce aftertouch a increased the blow distance and re-adjusted
> knuckle to core alignment.  (so far)
>
> Now on very repeated blows the hammer can not repeat well and if it is
> played very repeatedly the hammer drops into a very low check and will not
> play.  If I continue to try to play the not quickly after 8 or so more fast
> attempts the back check gives way and boom the hammer strikes the string
> very strongly.  Then back to the poor repitition and the drop into "check".
>
> What is the issue here?
>
> I have double checked simultaneous escapement on a few test notes and am
> having the same issue there.  No problem with general everyday playing.
>
> Your help is appreciated,
>
> Steven Hopp
>
> ------------------------------
> Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up
> now. <http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/>

It could be excess friction at the knuckle, instead of re-aligning the jack
to knuckle core as you did try setting a few as you had them and add some
teflon powder to the knuckles. I'm assuming the knuckles aren't worn or
"flat" in which case you need to sand them lightly or bolster them.
 If that isn't the case it could be repitition spring/drop screw issues. If
the repition spring is too tight/strong as they frequently are in Yamahas,
the drop screws are set lower than normal to compensate which on a fast
repeat of several times will cause what your describing. It would also
account for part of the "hard" feel at the end of the keystroke.

Mike

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404