[pianotech] Beckets

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 8 15:05:46 MDT 2009

OK, here's my take on this 3 turn coil thing.

Someone wrote that he installed a string that was cut short and it only had, I don't remember if it was 3/4 or 1 1/2, turn on the coil and that the string was stable. Well this is fine, but I could not imagine myself stringing a piano with only this little string on the pin. I guess the string would want to wander out of the pin.

I suspect that 2 turns would be ok just to make sure the string stays put inside the pin. Maybe 3 is just one more for safety. I don't find it hard to do these turns with the crank, one just have to get the groove of it.

For even placement of the becket, I use my 3 fingers to measure the string before I cut it. If I'm carefull and place the first string at around 5 o'clock, I can then use my fingers and either measure from the front or the back of the hole to get both "about" the same.

This gets it good enough for me. I'm not trying to gain a popularity contest with the eveness of my beckets. :-)

Marcel Carey
Sherbrooke, QC