[pianotech] tape residue

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 11 16:33:28 MDT 2009

Hi Barbara,

I have done this many times over the years for the same reason.  File from TOP TO BOTTOM with the key slip removed.  If you file both directions, you have a chance that the key will be lifted up and then cracked or split on the upswing.  Ask me how I found that out???

I use about a medium coarse bastard file about the thickness of the key itself filing only downward.  If you place something heavy on the back part of the front of the key, it'll hold several of them down at once allowing you to file in a continual motion.  It doesn't take long to remove the edges and make it flush or waterfall with key or however you want it to look.

Jer