[pianotech] tape residue

CHARLES BECKER cbeckercpt at verizon.net
Mon Oct 12 13:42:05 MDT 2009

So does Purell.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael Magness
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 3:17 PM
  Subject: Re: [pianotech] tape residue

  On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Barbara Richmond <piano57 at comcast.net> wrote:

    Howdy,

    I was having a look through the archives about removing tape goo from keytops and someone made a reference to a type of key that might get damaged by a solvent. Would that be those old celluloid keys?

    Does anybody remember what type of keytop is on a Betsy Ross spinet? I'm pretty excited to get to service one of these, I've heard so much about them (or her). ;-}

    Another question about those celluloid keytops. I have a customer with a Baldwin Monarch small upright with many--maybe all--chipped keys. She doesn't want to spring for new keytops, so I was thinking of just filing and making waterfall keys out of them. Will the celluloid file OK?

    Thanks,

    Barbara Richmond, RPT
    near Peoria, Illinois

  I'm late to this thread, had some early appointments today.
  I have rarely had to use any special removal stuff for tape residue, I've found that regular old rubbing alcohol usually does the trick without harming any of the various keytops I've used it on.
  It also removes nail polish left when someone runs a nail backside first over several keys (arpeggios?).

  Mike
  --
  I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
  Steven Wright

  Michael Magness
  Magness Piano Service
  608-786-4404