[pianotech] New shop lighting and accessories

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 13 19:09:16 MDT 2009

Yes this sounds like fun!  I agree with lots of fluorescent lights, and
outlets.  If you plan to do much wood finish work you might want other types
of light to help see all of those colors better.  Since you do not have the
shop filled yet, one other thing I suggest: wall to wall flooring.  You
really do not want to spend hours, days, weeks, and months for the next
decade on concrete.  My shop has a rubber flooring which came in big rolls
and was installed much like carpet is.  They told me this flooring is used
in restaurant kitchens and it has done very well for me for about ten years
now.  I have spilled solvents and just wiped it up.  The main thing is for
the whole floor to be like an anti-fatigue mat, but seamless.  That way
stuff does not fall between the seams and the floor is flat and even to walk
across.  It's also much easier on the piano parts and tools that will be
dropped on it.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter