[pianotech] Restringing with original pinblock

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 16 13:44:26 MDT 2009

The supply houses used to sell a version.  I use a real unadulterated resin
that is the base for varnish.  Thinned with Xylene (nasty stuff).  I think
all of them are some type of varnish and I'm not sure how critical it is
just which one.  I think the real benefit is the lubrication it provides
(rather than any sealing or wood treatment properties) so that the pin gets
driven in doing the least amount of damage to the surface of the wood as it
goes down.  Since the inside of the hole is basically all end grain, the PDF
is readily absorbed and probably doesn't leave much residue on the surface
of the block.  At least that's my theory.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com