[pianotech] Puzzler 10/26/09

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 21:21:27 MDT 2009

Was working on a 1971 Currier spinet yesterday, doing a 100+ cent pitch
raise and minor repairs. (Yes, icky work, but bills is bills.) F6 wasn't
repeating at all during the first pass, so I took some time to figure what
was wrong. The note would play once and not repeat unless you really hit the
key quite hard.

The jack was the problem. It didn't return under the hammer butt ... much
like when the jack spring is weak/broken or the flange is too tight.  But
neither of those were the problem.

Key friction wasn't the problem. Wippen friction wasn't the problem either,
although I certainly didn't remove the action to check it. :-)

What I found puzzling ended up being the clue to solving the problem: lost
motion was considerably greater than any of the neighboring keys.

Some tools involved in the repair were a Reyburn CyberHammer and a 8" action
screwdriver bit (the one with a reduced shank for flange screws). WARNING:
the previous sentence will not lead to the solution. It is given only to
confuse and bewilder you. Pictures will follow that demonstrate that the
repair tools were ones used out of necessity. <G>

Good luck!

--
JF