[pianotech] Stringing Case

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Wed Oct 28 20:22:37 MDT 2009

Matthew

For a case, I bought a bright orange tool case from Home Depot. On top I wrote in magic marker: STRINGS. That identifies it from my other two bright orange tool boxes with parts and supplies.

I buy strings in one third pound coils with a brake from Schaff.  To protect the strings. I made pouches out of naugahide. The pouch is about 6" x 6" with a flap. (I took a 14" x 6" piece of naugadie, and folded it in half and glued the sides to make the pouch 6 x 6. The other 2 " makes the flap. I then put two pieces of Velcro on the ends of the flap and on the outside of pouch, to keep the pouch closed. I also typed the string size on mailing labels, and applied them to each appropriate pouch.

As far as tools are concerned, since most of the tools I use for stringing are also used for other repairs, I don't carry them separately in the string box. But I guess there is nothing wrong with doing that. I do, however, have the micrometer in the string box. On the box for the micrometer I have a chart that tells me the appropriate string size for the corresponding string diameter.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789