[pianotech] the thread regarding number of tunings

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 31 21:18:41 MDT 2009

Hi everyone,

First I want to congratulate everyone who is tuning so often and doing so many in a week.  That's great!  Upon reading the thread concerning # of tunings, I am amazed and asking myself when will this occur on my behalf?  I finished my training at the Piano Hospital now called the School of Piano Technology for the Blind, and I have a great foundation, plus what training I received in Chicago from who is my good friend Nick Kircher.  I've read this thread with amazement and asked, "when will I reach this, and will I since I often have to travel by train/bus to reach my appointments. My wife does drive me to some of them that are not attainable by public transit.   I'm also curious as to how I can up my numbers since I've been told, speed will come as I get confident. I feel confident. I know what to listen for, but I'm still not tuning under an hour and a half.  sometimes two depending on the piano and how much the customer talks to me as I experienced today.  So I'm not envious, but wondering is there a missing piece in this puzzle, or have I been at this not long enough to experience the awesomeness that tuning more than a piano or two a day brings?

Les also mentioned word of mouth as his way of receiving customers.  So far no word of mouth going on here.  Is this also a time factor since I've only been back here in Philly since early July?  My customers are happy even the ones I tune as a subcontractor are happy, and they still try at times to pressure as to what I charge, which I cannot offer since they are not my customer.  So will I be back to tune their piano or not, depends on the person I subcontract for, more than likely yes, so word of mouth cannot occur there.

So I apologize for my lenthly post, but I'm wondering am I missing something, or is it simply a matter of "not being in the business" long enough?  I sit here and think, man 8 tunings a day? If I could tune that fast, my family would have everything they coud need and want, bills would be paid and not piling up.  What am I missing?  I have the training and continually learn of course, and when money picks up I'm joining the PTG again.

So please understand I'm grateful for the customers I have and the school district I have although the last guy I believe finished the fall tunings much quicker than I, but I'm told teachers are all positive about my tunings. So I'm thankful for what I have, but would love to increase this for my family's sake.  I'm planting a lot of seeds, and seeing some results.  Is this just a matter of time as Brooke Benton sang? Thanks for listenig everyone, You're all great and I appreciate you!

Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com